Welcome to our 8th Annual National Week of Action Against Schools Pushout! Our theme this year is Education is a Human Right! We Will Not Give Up the Fight! DSC members and allies will hold local events across the country, and participate in our two-day National Week of Action Event in New Orleans on October 23-24.
Our 2017 National Demands:
DSC members and allies call on federal government, states, districts, and schools to adopt education as a human right and implement the following demands:
1. Shift funding from school police to counselors, peace builders, and positive discipline.
2. Fund and use transformative and restorative justice, mediation and positive interventions to create a positive school climate
3. Stop arresting and pushing out Black students and other students of color, LGBTQ youth, students that are homeless, and students with disabilities at higher rates. *Black students are pushed out at the highest rates nationally.
4. Make sure states and districts focus on school climate under the new federal law – the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
5. End paddling and physical punishment in all schools
6. Invest in public education, not privatization and charter schools
Stay tuned for #DSCWoA2017 updates, local events, and opportunities to participate and take action to #EndSchoolPushout!
Visit our Week of Action page for more info and local event schedule:http://