Welcome to our 8th Annual National Week of Action Against Schools Pushout! Our theme this year is Education is a Human Right! We Will Not Give Up the Fight! DSC members and allies will hold local events across the country, and participate in our two-day National Week of Action Event in New Orleans on October 23-24.
Our 2017 National Demands:
DSC members and allies call on federal government, states, districts, and schools to adopt education as a human right and implement the following demands:
1. Shift funding from school police to counselors, peace builders, and positive discipline.
2. Fund and use transformative and restorative justice, mediation and positive interventions to create a positive school climate
3. Stop arresting and pushing out Black students and other students of color, LGBTQ youth, students that are homeless, and students with disabilities at higher rates. *Black students are pushed out at the highest rates nationally.
4. Make sure states and districts focus on school climate under the new federal law – the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
5. End paddling and physical punishment in all schools
6. Invest in public education, not privatization and charter schools
Visit our Week of Action page for more info and local event schedule:http://